Wednesday 18 January 2012

Hard zoning versus soft zoning in a FC/FCoE SAN


Post by Erik Smith (thank you) on Zoning in SAN’s

Over the past few weeks, I’ve answered a bunch of questions that have asked something along the lines of “Should I use Hard Zoning or Soft Zoning?”  And no, I have no idea why these questions are coming up now…

The short answer

If you’re familiar with FC Zoning as well as the FC protocol and don’t require a detailed explanation, the short answer is; “You no longer have a choice.  As of today, all of the FC/FCoE switches supported by EMC provide hardware enforcement for both “WWPN” and “Domain, Port” based zones”.  For the sake of completeness, there are some situations where hardware enforcement is effectively disabled but as long as your fan-in and fan-out ratios remain below 1:64 or 64:1 and/or you’re not using NPIV, you won’t need to worry about this.

Read on if you’d like a bit more detail.

The long answer…

As I started writing this section it quickly became apparent that I would need to provide an introduction to zoning and this leads to a discussion about FC Login, discovery, etc.  So I’ll start with the basics first and then get a bit more detailed as I go.  To start with, let’s assume a configuration similar to the following.

Read more on here

No comments:

Post a Comment